Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday January 25, 2013: Cloudy but Clearing Fast
      The past few days have been bright and sunny with rain at night. I call it Camelot Weather. In Camelot "The rain may never fall 'til after sundown..." Today at 11:00 a.m. it is cloudy with sun breaking through. The weather has been prefect for my guide service day tours and that is what's kept me from posting here. Full days of adventure leave me too tired to write.
      The photo above was taken from the mirador (lookout or vista) I love. You can read about it and see more photos on my website post Hike to the Mirador. Tuesday I brought a client, Steve, and my friend Sian, to take the hour and a half hike up into the mountains. It was steeper than I remembered but the three of us, all over 50 (one just turned 60!) took breaks along the way and did just fine, enjoying a good workout. Lunch at the top with a magnificent view was a fitting reward. Along the way we saw poison dart frogs, a troop of howler monkeys, toucans in the trees and hawks gliding on the exceptional Caribbean air currents
    Wednesday was another day for animal spotting but this time, with Rosemary who is staying with me at Hidden Jungle Beach House. First we took a tour of the Jaguar Animal Rescue Center.  Learning about all the animals of Costa Rica and seeing them up close is a fun and interesting experience. And everyone loves to play with the baby monkeys in the monkey house.
 
      Next we took a drive around the area, so Rosemary could determine where to stay long term when she and her husband came back next winter. We drove to Cocles, where we found a nice apartment right on the beach; stopped in Punta Uva and then went on down to take a look at Manzanillo. Rosemary loved the beach at Punta Uva and enjoyed the old town Caribbean ambiance of Manzanillo, but preferred the beach house in Cocles, which was closer to Puerto Viejo and all it's activity. After that mission was accomplished we still had time to visit the Cacao House to see how chocolate is made and learn a bit about the local Indigenous Bri Bri culture.
      There is so much to see and do here in the Puerto Viejo area. I sometimes get wrapped up in work at my guest house and don't take the time to go out and explore much further than the nearby beach. Lucky for me my clients get me out and going everywhere for fun days of new discovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment