Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Extremes of Nature, Here in the Caribbean

Thursday July 18, 2013: Sunny, Yesterday was sunny, too.

Portuguese Man of War

      I saw 3 on Black Beach last night, 2 this morning. The photo above was taken on the beach. The photo below, in the water, is from the internet.
      According to Wikipedia this is not a jelly fish. It is a siphonophore. They float on top of the water. The name comes from the man-of-war, an 18th-century armed Portuguese sailing ship. As you can see from the photo below, they have kind of a sail on top. Strong winds can drive them into shore. 
      If they are on the beach they are in the water. Apparently this is a rare occurrence. I have not seen one in the 6 years I've lived here. And my friend, born and raised here, told me he has not seen one for many years. Their sting is severe. I think I'll stay out of the water for the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment